The State Engineering Department was the first public sector in Tamil Nadu to protect the people and the public sector, as the Tamils refer to it as "the oldest citizen of the country.
Established in 1858 as the Madras Public Works Department, we should be proud to say that it has been 162 years since its establishment, with many branches, to grow and improve, working relentlessly to fulfil the important tasks of the public and the development of the country. This history is written to the general public with some historical evidence about the origin and development of the industry.
Chennai-state case already in process in the various irrigation infrastructure in the irrigation lakes, improve, maintain and manage the important works, so doing the people of food production, and multiply, state land tax paid, they live peacefully, peace to prevail very quickly understand that "The Maramathu Portfolio" was first founded in 1819.
The Maramathu Division was the first civil society to be excluded from the military. That too seemed to carry out irrigation. According to the Revenue Board of the Maratha portfolio, some English engineers were established under the district administration. In 1838, eight Maratha forts were established in the Madras Presidency, with the irrigation works, maintenance of state-owned buildings, and the construction of new buildings. According to a statement, 24 permanent engineers, 11 temporary engineers, 23 English overseers, 25 Indian servicemen and 35 Indian masters were employed in the Maratha portfolio. In 1858, it became public service.
In 1857, the Board of Directors of the East India Company, the UK, examined the work of the Maratha portfolio and asked them to expand the portfolio and advise them to work more effectively.
According to the proclamation issued by the famous Queen Elizabeth of the East India Company in 1857, it was brought under the rule of the Government of England. The group, however, accepted the suggestions made and suggested that the Government of England could establish this portfolio of public works in 1858 and pursue other proposals.
The employees at the provincial level in Chennai were: 1 Chief Engineer, 3 Supervisor Engineers, 20 Operating Engineers, 78 Assistant Engineers, 204 Assistant Engineers, Overseers and 714 Field Engineers.
In 1867, a separate chief engineer was appointed for irrigation. It can be seen from this that the English government paid special attention to irrigation in public works.
Since then, there have been many changes in the organization and administration of the public sector from time to time, but the sector continues to function as one of the key areas of government. Until a few years before the country's independence (1942), the English were appointed chief engineers.
Under them, supervisory engineers, operatives, and under them, the English were in many places. Indian engineers are working, developing the industry and implementing many creative projects.
There are a number of projects that have been successfully completed in the public sector during the British colonial period and have been a major contributor to irrigation development.
The state buildings that have been built in this department, including many beautiful artworks, are still admired and admired.
St George's Castle to this day, the Headquarters building to date, the Napier Bridge on the River Koovum, the University of Madras lined up along the Marina Beach Road, especially the 'Senate House' multi-coloured mirror building, next to the Public Works Department, next to the Raw College of Public Works. RI Amma College, formerly known as Vivekananda Home, GENERAL HOSPITAL Buildings, Stanley Medical Buildings, Chennai High Court Complex, Museum of Exclusive Buildings, Pantheon Road, Museum Directors operating buildings, Various court buildings, such as these, have been built in Chennai and other major cities during the time of the English Government, and are well maintained.
The Department of Buildings is also completing the development of various other sectors of the Government such as Education, Medical, Justice, Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, etc. to compensate for the multi-faceted development of Tamil Nadu.
As the country gained independence, the sector began to branch out, as tasks were to be expanded in several places at once, and with the use of technical training and tasks, rather than training. In 1946, the Highways Department, the Housing Board in 1961, the Cottage Replacement Board in 1971, the Tamil Nadu Drinking Water Board in 1971, and then the Madras Drinking Water and Sewerage Board in Chennai, began to operate separately from the Public Works Department. Irrigation and Buildings are combined and the water resource sector is separated from the existing public works department.
Water Resources works in good time to develop and implement, Irrigation works for River Delta by integrating each basin is available with water, and to what extent can benefit from the plan, to be active and water sources, lakes, ponds, canals, structures these modern times to maintain textures and Without Chennai, Trichy, Madurai and Pollachi Establishing field offices in cities and chief engineer in the year of 1995 Adapted by the system.
At present, the Public Works Department functions as two departments: Buildings and Water Resources.
The engineers, field engineers and ministry workers of many generations in the field have been diligent in maintaining, extending and extending the development of the irrigation projects and beautiful buildings established throughout Tamil Nadu.
Prior to the founding of the East India Company - before 1809, the district collector was first involved with irrigation works and income.
1809 - Engineering Officers appointed as Superintendent of Lakes for minor irrigation and improvement work
1819 - The East India Company is subdivided into three divisions and each section is under the control of the Inspector General of Civil Estimate, along with the general building work.
1825 - The entire Maratha sector operates under the Board of Revenue.
1836 - The Office of the Inspector General of Civil Estimate is removed. The Secretary of Public Works has been appointed to the Board of Revenue.
1838 - The Maratha division in the entire state are divided into eight divisions and formed under the Civil Engineer. All the construction and renovation work of the above Engineering Department was transferred to Maratha division.
1850 - Effective administration draws the attention of UK directors to the execution of public works throughout the state. So, by their mandate the first Public Works Adjustment Committee was formed.
1858 - The Madras Public Works is headed by the Chief Engineer.
1860 - Chief Engineer appointed Secretary of State for Public Works.
1867 - A separate Chief Engineer for Irrigation is appointed.
1870 - General Working Committee appointed to look after minor irrigation works throughout the country.
1878 - All administrative powers of department leadership are vested with the Secretary of the Public Works Department and the Chief Engineer (General).
11881 - Six Superintending Engineers for circle Offices are established throughout the state and under their control 30 Executive Engineers for Divisional offices.
1885 - The Public Works Department has the following branches.
1945 - The Nagpur Project was created for the enormous expansion and improvement of the National and State Highways.
1946 - A separate department was created to look after road works in the state.
1961 - The Madraj Act 17, 1961 was established by the State Housing Board for the purpose of building apartments and development.
1962 - The Department of Public Health and Municipal Affairs was established and renamed Tamil Nadu Drinking Water Drainage Board on 14.04.1971.
1969 - Irrigation and building systems are assigned to each district with a superintending engineer and three or four Executive engineers and officers under them.
1967 and 1972 - Under the United Nations Improvement Program, Groundwater Energy in the State was commissioned and appointed a Chief Engineer.
1972 - The Water Inspection Agency was formed and is currently operating under the direction of a Chief Engineer.
1975 - A third Chief Engineer (Inspection and Projects) has been appointed to conduct irrigation improvement work in all districts.
1995 - The Government issues an order to divide the Department into a Water Resources Organization and Building Organization.
The Public Works Department is a department dedicated to carrying out government functions.
In the early years, the department carried out various tasks, such as the following.
Each department began to function as a division, considering the number of tasks and the subtle tasks to be performed at each time period.